Wednesday 28 November 2012

Stone cookies


   The Simon says Stamp and Show challenge is 'A project with Heart' this week.



    This was a toughie!!! I had a pack of the Das air dry clay - which I have never liked using (apologies to fans of it) I have always found it hard to work with, dries too quickly and smells awful ;o)

   But I have owned that pack for about nine years and figured I should use it!

   I drew a heart template and rolled out the clay. I cut the heart shape out of the clay and then thought perhaps I should do some more (just in case my first one doesn't work out) So I cut out three large and three small and decorated them with a variety of stamps



   When they were dry I sanded them to get a smooth surface and edges



I painted them with white gesso...a couple of coats and then they were ready for ink. But first for the large heart I wanted the word 'Noel' to be in red so I painted the letters in dark red acrylic.



   I was trying to get a stone effect... I look at them and think maybe I got it right. But at other moments I wonder!!!! I asked my husand what effect he thought I was after...he looked at one of the hearts...thought for a moment.....he seemed to be struggling to come up with an answer (perhaps I was trying to trick him!!!) and he said "Ummmm....is it a cookie?" Oh well.....It is supposed to be stone, but I will leave everyone  to interpret it how they want...If they look like cookies then that is what they are!

    To get the effect I was after I used Antique Lace and Gathered twigs DI. It didn't work too well on the clay as it (or the paint) absorbed the ink really quickly. So it applies dark, you blend and then when you come back to it a while later you can't see any ink....I think I applied ink on the large heart about 10 times in the end (and the photo was taken quickly after a last ink layer to capture the ink)

    Next I needed holly leaves. I drew some leaves on card and then using Gathered Twigs and Peeled Paint I did wrinkle free distress effect....then cut out the leaves and edged them with more Peeled Paint DI

.

   I had some paper covered wire and so I smudged some Antique lace DI over them to take the stark whiteness away. Curled them around the end of a paintbrush and attached them to the large heart.

    Some nice ribbons chosen and here are my four finished heart decorations! Hope you like them!








I am entering this into these challenges -

Simon says stamp and show - Project with a heart
Artful times - Anything goes
Creative Inspirations paint  - Anything goes









8 comments:

  1. Wow... they're amazing, Laura! Love the stamps you've used, and the effect certainly looks stony to me... beautifully embellished too!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute Laura! I see them as Advent table decorations to add to the real cookies. Ah but then we would need one each wouldn't we? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certianly look more like stone than cookie to me :) Love how you have stamped and coloured into them as well. I've never used air dry clay but maybe a coat of gesso would help stop the ink being absorbed.
    Thank you for joining us agan this week at Artful Times
    Von ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of these hearts and they certainly look like stone

    Best wishes Chrissie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So unique and fabulous! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp ans Show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are fabulous! Like it or not you should use it again as this idea is great and they would look super hung on a tree - or given as presents.
    Thanks for joining us at Artful Times with this creation.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your hearts are divine. You must be so thrilled with how they turned out. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missed this first time round Laura, but Alison got me here and how pleased am I! Embellishments cost the earth and I'm always looking for homemade alternatives - et voila!! Modelling clay is now on the Christmas list as your stone hearts are so good and so textured. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!