Thursday 10 January 2013

Vintage Fashion


   Hello everyone! Well, I am feeling slightly better and so decided to get back to some stampin' fun! Certainly better then moping around feeling sorry for myself.

    I have been testing out my new stamps, with not much success but I am slowly learning how to achieve some good(ish) effects!

    A few challenges right now are asking for Vintage style work. I adore that so began to work. First idea went really wrong (I won't divulge details as someone will probably be thinking "Noooo...You thought THAT would work?!!!") Well I know now that it doesn't work so we will move on.....!




   I got some cream card and began stamping images from my Tim Holtz stamps collection - Butterfly, crown, postmark, chandelier, corners....and then I masked those images and stamped script text all over the piece of card. I used the only archival ink I had which was black....not an ideal choice as it would probably have been better to have a softer brown shade. Luckily it is an old ink pad and was quite dry so the effect it gave was quite lovely...muted in places and sharper in others. So luck was on my side there!



     I loved the effect of the images and script so much that I made another tag at that point. Using images in the same place and masking them again but this time I was applying the script at angles and overlapping......Why make another one?.....well, just in case!

    Both tags were then shaded with Antique Linen, Pumice Stone and Gathered Twigs. I now had two lovely vintage print tags - I was quite amazed!

    Images......Hmmm.......I do have some lovely ones from Nicecrane designs. Beautiful pictures of Edwardian ladies. Then our printer, who is like a stroppy teenager at the best of times, decided that the black ink cartridge (which was half full) wasn't going to part with any ink. Then for good measure decided to hold onto the blue as well....so the pictures of the ladies are a not so nice bright orange.

     Shopping before the challenge deadline wasn't going to happen so I had a look through my embellishment drawer. I found some lovely 1920's fashion images. Wasn't where I had planned to go but what wonderful serendipity! I adore 1920's fashion which is so elegant....and the Parisian post mark certainly then fits in with Chanel fashion - I was very happy!!!



So I cut out the images, inked them with Antique Linen and edged in Gathered Twigs. An empty locket was in my jewellery/beads pot and there was a lovely portrait to go in it.




I had another of the lovely metal attachments that I had used for the ATC challenge last year so that was attached to the top of the tag to hold the ribbon. I got some white satin ribbon that I dyed with the Stormy Sky ink to match the muted grey/blue of the card.







    The card looked a bit 'flat' Bit hard to describe what I mean (wish I had taken photos of the construction of the tag to show you). Then I decided to use the other tag. I began to tear three sections from the 2nd tag and inked the torn edges with the Gathered Twigs DI. Then I stuck them over the identical parts of the original tag. Then I decided to add some flourishes in Gathered Twigs around the edges of the tag. I hoped this would have the effect of blending the torn strips in slightly to the original tag.





 
    I had slightly distressed the edges of the tag (didn't want it too raggedy as this would ruin the elegant style I hoped I had captured) and added Gathered Twigs DI over the edges.....I think adding the strips did work and the tag now looked far more vintage and, for want of a better word to describe what I was seeing, less 'flat'!

     Hope you like it - If you do please leave me a comment! I would love to know what you think.




I am entering this in to the following challenges -

Simon says stamp and show - Embrace the old
Vintage Stamping Challenge  - Vintage
DL.ART Thankful Thursday  - Anything goes
kaboodle doodles - Vintage
Incywincydesigns - Something new (All the stamps used are new)
Fashionable stamping challenges - Surprise us
The Artistic Stamper  - Your favourite stamp (script)
Live and love crafts  - Something old
Craft your passion challenges  - Vintage/Shabby chic




22 comments:

  1. What wonderful tags showing off vintage to its best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A reall beautiful vintage make, lve how you used the layers from the second tag! Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this to bits Laura. What a great idea to use torn layers and a fab choice of images too. Yep, I've got a printer that does that sort of thing to me too but necessity is the mother of invention and you seem able to cope with any crafting emergency now! Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful vintage looking tag with fantastic layes. Love all the details. Thanks for joining us at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tag... I love the torn layers you used from your spare tag - what a great idea! And the layered stamping is yummy behind those gorgeous images! Bravo!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the absolutely stunning tag, the colours are perfect and everything complements each other so well.

    Thanks so much sharing with us at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping challenges this month.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning vintage tag Laura! Love the way the 2nd wrapped tag edges look almost fused on. Fantastic selection of stamps and stamping. Its gorgeously feminine despite the more 'typically male' hues. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely vintage tag! Love it! Wow! I'd love to be able to create something as lovely vintage as these tag of yours. Thanks for joining us at Kaboodle Doodles’ “Vintage” Challenge! Happy 2013!!

    Kath - Admin
    Blog: Creo by Lady Katutz
    http://creobyladykatutz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is simply gorgeous!
    Thanks for playing along at Kaboodle Doodles!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing this fits great to our challenge this week.
    Thanks for joining us at CYP.
    xxx Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely vintage tag.

    Thanks for joining us at Kaboodle Doodles this week for our Vintage Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tag is stunning Laura! Thanks for sharing it with us at The Artistic Stamper!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a stunning tag, love the colours and the effect achieved with the torn tag gives a fabulous vintage feel to it.
    Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
    Avril

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing! Gorgeous images and lovely stamping. Looks really old and vintage! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful vintage tag!! I just love the distressing and the colors. Thanks for joining the ODBD Shining the Light challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your vintage tag is so beautiful, Laura!

    Love all the torn and blended edges and the colour scheme!!! Brilliant!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome! Thanks for joining our "NEW" challenge over at Incy Wincy Designs this week! Hope to see you in our next challenge!
    Hugs,
    Karen C

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw your entry on Vintage Stamping Challenge and just had to pop in and say how much I loved your tags. Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like your tag, especially the layered look you've achieved with the torn sections and the flourishes overstamped. Lovely colours and what great images. My printer sometimes does that and prints everything in green. I go onto "settings" and then on "maintenance" do a "nozzle check" and then a "head alignment". That seems to sort it out but mine is a Canon printer so I'm not sure if they all work the same - good luck anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi
    Such a lovely vintage style tag with a fabulous collection of images.
    Thank You for sharing with us at FSC.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so beautiful, I adore tags and this is a stunning one.

    Thank you for sharing with us at Vintage Stamping Challenges.

    Hugs Shirley x x

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!