Thursday 6 March 2014

The gift of love

Hi everyone!

      I had made a lot of photo albums for my mother-in-law over the years...special occasions were celebrated with yet another little hand made book filled with photos of her grandchildren to show to her friends. This time I made one for my best friend who had her first child on the 3rd February...a beautiful little boy. I had already made a gift with her in mind (I had a hunch that she might be expecting back in late May when I made the Baby Steps creation for Our Creative Corner)....but I wanted to make something for her and her husband that featured the new arrival....


Luckily, like all proud parents my friend and her husband had loaded lots of gorgeous photos on FB, so I could take my pick and leave them unaware! I did some alterations on Paint Shop....I find colour distracting in some albums and my preference for a mini album like this is to keep the colours muted. I had an idea to keep the colours obviously pale baby blue but add some vintage-ness with some greys and browns. So making the photos a muted grey/brown sepia seemed the best thing.

       I constructed the book by folding a strip of card accordian style, and cutting two strong pieces of cardboard to form the front and back. Both sides of the accordian book were filled with photos.

     I began by stencilling some Antique Linen DP - Harlequin, Art is and Swirly Q's. Then I covered the pages with Weathered Wood, Frayed Burlap and Vintage Photo DI. I used a flourish stamp using a Colourbox dye ink in Raw Silk. I stamped some letters and numbers in Antique Linen DP and added some splatters and spray with white acrylic paint. A hedgerow stamp was stamped in Coffee Archival ink and then I randomly stamped my favourite script stamp everywhere using Coffee Archival ink. I kept the cover of the book deliberately plain as I wanted the focus to be on the photos - So the cover was just decorated with some of the same flourishes, numbers and letters and paint splatter - the front of the cover had a film strip stamp and the back had a flock of birds....


A little bit of Walnut Stain DI was dabbed around the edges to add a vintage look and then I was ready to add the photos.





After the photos were stuck into the album I stamped some quotes on tissue paper and stuck them into the book with Matte Multi-Medium. I also added some chit chat stickers that had been dabbed with Weathered Wood and edged with Walnut Stain.


Then I decorated the book with various embellishments...I used a lot of metal items, buttons and lace to keep a theme flowing throughout.



A glittery ribbon in gorgeous blue tones was wrapped around a page and attached to a pendant in which I had placed a photo of the sleeping little one and covered the picture with Glossy Accents glue.


 I found a crystal bead in my craft stash and attached it to the pendant along with a silver heart that says the word 'Love'


The album was secured by a ribbon that was glued to the front of the album with a piece of velcro...the rest of the ribbon was left unattached to the book. This ribbon was looped through a metal decoration at the other end with the connecting velcro piece.




Thanks so much for being here and I hope you like this little book that contains a LOT of love!


 photo temp3_zpsf37f8b2d.png
Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift for your friends! An heirloom some day in the future. The whole album is beautiful, you can tell it was done with love. The ribbon and fastener on the cover is very elegant, and I love the pendant and the heart charm. All the stamping is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura this is soooooo beautiful, what a beautiful keep sake this is
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift for your friends. I bet they were thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh.. you made this unique and it's simply a wonderful project Laura!
    AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This such a fabulous keepsake Laura, am sure your friend will totally adore it. Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to celebrate the arrival of a little one! I adore this tiny book. The stamping and beautiful embellishments really highlight the already amazing photos. Your friend will cherish this forever. Great make Laura! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful gift which your friend will treasure forever and can share with her baby when he grows up too. Gorgeous!
    Alexandra x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous gift, love the colours and that you neutralized the colour of the photos.

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!