Wednesday 15 October 2014

Couture Creation

Welcome back!

Today I am here to show you my creation for Sandee and Amelie's Steampunk challenge! This month the challenge is called.....

Steampunk Couture


Any kind of sewing themed, dress themed, fashion themed,
couture themed Steampunk creation will fit in.



My creation began with finding a mannequin die cut in my scrap bin. I had begun to decorate it ages ago and it hadn't worked for the creation I had in mind then. I had spent ages struggling with it and eventually I gave up and moved in another direction and this mannequin, with the purple frilly corset dress, went into the scrap bin and I doubted it would see the light of day again

   And then the Steampunk Couture challenge arrived! and how perfect was this mannequin for it? I don't like purple very much in crafting and it is a colour I very rarely use (perhaps it was that colour choice that had made this not work before?)....but this seemed to work perfectly now with the bronze rustic tones of the steampunk embellishments.

      I used a piece of cardboard, ripped pieces off and then began to stick music sheet tissue to the card with matte multi medium. Then I brushed some watered down gesso over it.


I then used a stencil and blended some Dusty Concord DI over the cardboard and blended some Tumbled Glass DI in some areas too. I also spritzed some espresso Dylusions sprays onto the background

      
Various sewing stamps were stamped around the edges using Potting Soil Archival ink and I dabbed around the edges with Vintage Photo DI



The mannequin had been painted with Stone Fresco paint and was then covered with Crackle glaze and walnut stain DI rubbed over it to enhance the crackle

.
    The corset was stamped onto card in Jet Black archival ink and then embossed. The corset was then painted with Dusty Concord DS. Tiny gears were stuck to the corset along with a bronze button decoration


    White lace was dabbed with Dusty Concord DS and then when dry was stuck onto the mannequin in layers to form the skirt. An organza ribbon was stained with Dusty Concord DS and tied into a bow.


 The words 'create the look' were chosen from chit chat stickers and edged with Vintage Photo DI and stuck to the corset of the dress. 


Various decorations were used at the base of the mannequin including buttons, lace and metal flowers


A piece of cotton ribbon was added across the bottom of the hanger


Bronze Hinge fasteners were used with rusty wire as a hanger



And here is the finished Steampunk Couture Creation.......



I hope you like it!...and I do hope you will come over to see what the rest of the team have made and share your Steampunk Couture with us! Hope to see you there!


                                                        photo temp3_zpsf37f8b2d.png
Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant Laura, love the gorgeous stencilled background and the dress form looks fantastic! Fabulous make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it, Laura!

    And I am so happy that our challenge helped bring that lovely decorated mannequin die cut back to life again. It's just perfect for our challenge and the colour works brilliantly alongside the rustic tones of your creation. The stencilling is fab too! I think your wall hanging is absolutely adorable!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! Love the crackle effect on the dressform.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tee hee, having spent hours this summer working out how to make mannequins for Small Worlds, this one really speaks to me. And left me wondering about a corset department in Gosthwaites of Aberystwyth? Heavy hints....
    Much love and see you soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fab Laura and your right the purple dress form works so well with you embellishments and colours, giving it a real wow factor.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow love that purple dress on that gorgeous background!
    Groetjes Karin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this hanging, Laura!! Love the richness of the purples you've used--they seem to pop even more with the earthy ink colors and bronze embellies! Lovely creation, Laura!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, WOW, WOW, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this, you know I love tiny dresses, I also second it, you would be a fabulous corset, dress Designer for the small world, the background is just STUNNING again love the blue and purple with the browns, loooooove it on the corragate and the crackled manikin is fabulous with a spectacular steam punk gown, I really love this thanks for all the inspiration with all of this

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!