Sunday 15 February 2015

Steampunk Blueprint

Hello everyone!

Over at Sandee and amelie's steampunk challenge the challenge this month is -

Unfinished Steampunk

We would like to encourage you to leave some areas/parts of your creations unfinished or have them look unfinished!

 It should definitely not just look as if you had forgotten to finish your project off with some spots, but the unfinished (but maybe already primed or half treated) part should build a dynamic contrast or in any other way an important part of your project's composition or concept




And this is how I tackled this challenge -


 At the start I had no idea where to go with this...I wanted to make a tag but to leave part of it white seemed wrong somehow - for me anyway! I wanted the tag to have something on it but be unfinished....so I came up with the idea of a blueprint style tag...




So half this tag is the actual finished tag and half shows 'planning' behind it


I was going to do two halves stuck together, but I decided against that. For me this needed to be one tag.

So I covered half the tag with masking paper and just did the top part of the tag as if I were about to decorate the whole tag. I decided to go for a mechanical travel theme, sticking with blues and brown colours.











 First I stencilled some Picket Fence DP though a clockwork stencil. I LOVE using this as the base for my backgrounds at the moment! I love the pale barely there image it gives...

I blended some Stormy Sky and Gathered Twigs DI's over the tag

I then stamped the main focal image in Jet Black Archival ink using the stamp of three men on the Artistic Outpost stamp set 'French Flight'



I then used other stamps from this set - using Stormy Sky and Gathered Twigs DI. I also stamped some of the stamps with Watering Can and Cornflower Blue Archival ink to add depth as they are stronger colours than the DI's.



I added a bronze gear at the bottom of the tag and a bulldog clip that had been painted with dark brown acrylic paint and sprinkled with brown embossing powder.


Then I removed the mask and just randomly scribbled (hence the bad handwriting) all the details of the tag onto the blank side. Featuring arrows as direction, various prompts, ideas, colours and choices.



 This was a lot of fun! Why not make a Steampunk creation and see what you can do to make it look 'unfinished'! 

It would be lovely if you came over and see what the rest of the team have made to inspire you! Hope you will come along and join in the fun!


 Happy Crafting 
Laura
 xxx


I am entering this in the 'Show us your AO art' challenge


Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. What a brilliant take and inspiration, the blueprint idea works so well, beautiful tones, love it, finished but unfinished! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I really like your handwriting, Laura!

    And your approach to the challenge theme is soooo fab and imaginative! Love the blueprint feel and concept! It totally changed my way of looking at a tag! lol

    A brilliant tag! LOVE it!
    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Laura! I love the way you treated the 'unfinished' side, like a blueprint of what you would have done...genius! Wonderful accents with the metal gear and screws, goes perfect with the mechanical theme! Great tag! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a cunning plan - both unfinished and finished at the same time. I like it...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing steampunk Tag Laura,,,,it isnpired to me to create a one working with my Jules Vernes theme,,,,,woww,wowwwwwww horayyyyyyyyyy for Laura and welcome on board,

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fun tag, Laura!! I see no bad handwriting whatsoever! I see creative planning come to life!! This is a great example of unfinished steampunk!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Grief! This looks like a real challenge - although you make it look easy! I love the way you have used the blueprint idea and the 'completed' part looks amazing! Fantastic tag Laura! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!